Golden Veggie Fried Rice
A medley of brown rice cooked in Golden Monkey tea, fried with onion, carrot, broccoli, and bits of egg, peas, and corn
3 cups water*
3 tablespoons Golden Monkey black tea leaves (dry)**
1 1/2 cups brown rice
1 stick butter, divided
1 medium onion, chopped
1 large carrot, peeled and grated
1/3 cup frozen corn
1/3 cup frozen green peas
2 cups chopped (bite-size) fresh broccoli florets
3 eggs, beaten
1/2 tablespoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon salt
black pepper, to taste
Heat water to nearly boiling. Add tea leaves and steep for 3-5 minutes.
Strain leaves from tea. Put hot tea into a medium-size saucepan. Add
rice, and then proceed to cook rice according to package instructions,
subtracting 5 minutes from the suggested cooking time for your rice.***
2. Meanwhile, melt 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) of the butter in a large
non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and carrots, and cook and
stir until onions are translucent and carrots are tender.
3. Add corn, peas, and broccoli, and continue cooking until
vegetables are crisp-tender. Pour this vegetable mixture into a bowl and
4. Return skillet to heat, and melt remaining 1/2 stick of butter.
Increase heat to medium-high, and add beaten egg. Cook and stir
constantly until egg is fully cooked, breaking it into little bits as it
5. Add cooked rice to egg, reduce heat to medium, and cook for 5 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
6. Sprinkle soy sauce, salt, and pepper. Add vegetables, and cook and stir until seasonings are evenly distributed and mixture is well-heated, about 5-10 minutes.