Crunchy caramel-covered matzo squares drizzled with melted chocolate and sprinkled with nuts Yield:
12 servings Ingredients:
6 matzo squares
1 cup (2 sticks) butter
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 cup (or more) semi-sweet chocolate chips or chunks
Optional: Chopped sliced nuts (almonds, peanuts, etc.) and melted chocolate for drizzling Instructions:
1. Line two jelly roll pans with foil. Place a sheet of parchment or wax paper over the foil. Place matzo squares in pans in a single layer.
2. In a 3-quart heavy saucepan, melt butter and brown sugar over medium heat. Cook and stir constantly until mixture boils. Boil and stir for 3 or 3.5 minutes. Remove from heat and pour over matzos, covering completely.
3. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes. Keep an eye on the candy as it bakes to ensure that it doesn’t burn; if it gets too dark, lower oven to 325 and put back in. However, the candy does need to bake (bubbly) for 15 minutes, or it won’t be crunchy.
4. Remove sheets from oven to cooling racks. Sprinkle chocolate on top. Wait five minutes, then smear the soft chocolate chips/chunks over the matzos. Add nuts if using, and drizzle with more chocolate if desired.
5. Cool; then refrigerate or freeze (on the sheets if possible). Break into pieces and store in the refrigerator or freezer.