This traditional recipe has the perfect blend of tart rhubarb and luscious strawberries, topped with a beautiful lattice pie crust Yield:
3 1/2 cups rhubarb (stalks cut into 1/2 inch segments)
3 1/2 cups strawberries (stemmed; small berries halved, large berries quartered)
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 cup brown sugar (packed)
1/2 cup white sugar
1/4 cup corn starch
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 Tablespoon sugar (for dusting)Â
1 pie crust (unbaked) plus top (cut for lattice**) Instructions:
1. Prepare bottomÂ crust in 9″ pie dish. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. In a large bowl mix rhubarb and strawberries; pour lemon juice over fruit.
3. In a separate large bowl mix sugars, corn starch, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
4. Add fruit to sugar mixture and stir until fruit is evently coated. The dry ingredients should become like a thick paste coating the fruit.
5. Pour mixture into pie crust.
6. Create a lattice** on the top of the pie crust. Sprinkle top of pie with 1 Tablespoon sugar.
7. Bake at 400 degree for 20 minutes; then reduce to 350 degrees for 45-55 minutes.
This recipe is from Tammy’s Recipes.