Tender and flaky scones with cranberries and almonds, topped with a sweet crusty glaze Yield:
8 scones Ingredients:
2 1/8 cups all-purpose flour*
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 cup (1 stick) cold butter, sliced
3/4 cup dried sweetened cranberries (“Craisins” or other brand)
1/4 cup sliced or chopped almonds**
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 teaspoons almond extract
2 tablespoons heavy cream, for topping
sugar, for sprinkling Instructions:
1. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder. Cut in the butter. Stir in cranberries and almonds.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together the 1/2 cup cream, egg, and extracts. Stir into dry mixture, stirring just until moistened. Knead a few times, until a dough forms (don’t over-knead).
3. On a lightly floured surface, form dough into a circle, about an inch thick. Cut into 8 wedges. (I use a pizza cutter to slice the dough.) Place wedges on an ungreased baking sheet.
Alternately, you can place the circle of dough onto the baking sheet before cutting, if you wish, and leave scones touching as they bake. Increase the baking time as needed (probably 10-15 minutes longer) if you bake them this way.
4. Brush scones with the reserved 2 tablespoons of cream, and sprinkle with sugar.
5. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes, until edges are lightly browned and scones are done inside. Cool on a wire rack. Delicious warm or cold, and maybe even better the next day! 🙂
*Scones pictured were made with 1 cup all-purpose flour and 1 cup + 1 tablespoon whole wheat pastry flour. Delicious either way!! 🙂
**I buy whole almonds since they retain their nutrients better than pre-sliced or chopped. I chop mine in a food processor or run them through the Salad Shooter with a slicer attachment.
This recipe is from Tammy’s Recipes.
How useful was this post?
Click on a star to rate it!
Average rating / 5. Vote count: