Vanilla shortbread cookie dough, rolled and filled with homemade cranberry sauce; frozen and then sliced and baked Yield:
About 3 dozen small cookies Ingredients:
Cookie Dough Ingredients:
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons cardamom, optional
Cranberry Filling Ingredients:
2 cups fresh cranberries, rinsed
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup water, divided
1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 teaspoon orange zest, optional Instructions:
1. In a mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugar. Add egg and vanilla, stir well.
2. In a separate bowl, combine flour, salt, and cardemom (if using). Add to creamed mixture and mix well. Divide dough in half and wrap each piece in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 2 hours or up to 2 days.
3. Mix 1/4 cup of water with the cornstarch and set aside. Put remaining cranberry filling ingredients into a saucepan and heat on medium heat, stirring, until berries are popped. Add water/cornstarch mixture and continue heating and stirring until mixture is a thickened chunky cranberry sauce. Set aside to cool.
4. On a clean surface, sprinkle confectioner’s sugar and roll each half of the dough into a 12×7-inch rectangle. Spread half of the cranberry mixture on each rectangle, to within 1 inch of the edges.
5. Roll dough gently, starting at one of the 12-inch (wide) sides (rather than at the 7-inch ends). Pinch edge and ends to seal. Carefully transfer each log to a sheet of waxed paper and wrap, securing with masking tape. Wrap each log in foil. Place in freezer for at least 1 day and up to 4 months.
6. When ready to bake cookies, remove from freezer and slice frozen logs into 1/3-inch slices using a sharp knife. Place frozen slices on greased cookie sheets and bake 15-20 minutes at 400 degrees, until done. (Edges will be only slightly browned, if at all.) Remove from cookie sheet after about 5 minutes and place on wire racks to cool.
This recipe is from Tammy’s Recipes.
How useful was this post?
Click on a star to rate it!
Average rating / 5. Vote count: