A creamy hot green soup made with asparagus and onions Yield:
6 servings Ingredients:
6 cups asparagus pieces (trimmed and cut or broken into 1 to 2-inch lengths)
1 medium-large onion, coarsely chopped
3/4 cup water
1 tablespoon butter
1 1/2 cups milk
1/4 cup flour
1/8 teaspoon pepper
salt, to taste* Instructions:
1. In a large stock pot, boil or steam asparagus and onions until tender. (I usually add the asparagus and onions to boiling water and cook for about 5 minutes.)
2. Drain off the hot water. Pick out about a half-cup of the asparagus tips and reserve for adding to the soup later.
3. Pour 3/4 cup of water into a blender. Add the drained asparagus and onions. Process at a high speed for a few minutes, until mixture is completely smooth.
4. In the same large stock pot, melt 1 tablespoon butter. In a small bowl, whisk together the milk, flour, and pepper, until no lumps remain. Add milk mixture to melted butter and turn heat to medium. Add asparagus puree.
5. Whisk asparagus and milk together and bring to a boil. Boil for about a minute, until mixture has thickened slightly. Add salt to taste. Stir in asparagus tips and serve hot!
This recipe is from Tammy’s Recipes.