Crusty Home-Style Bread Bowls
1 cup warm water (110-115 degrees F)
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons dry yeast
1 egg yolk
1 tablespoon water
1. In mixing bowl, combine water, sugar, and salt.
2. Add flour and yeast (start with 2 cups of the flour). Stir and
then knead to make a smooth, slightly sticky dough. Knead for about 5
minutes. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes
3. Grease the outsides of eight 6-ounce glass custard cups (oven-safe). Place cups upside down on ungreased cookie sheets.
4. Divide dough into 8 equal pieces. Pat or roll each piece into a
5-6 inch circle, on a lightly floured surface (or oil your hands and
just form the dough in your hands). Shape dough over the outsides of the
greased cups. Allow dough to touch cookie sheet, but not to curl under
the edges of the cups.
5. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 20 minutes or until slightly puffy.
6. Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees F. Mix egg yolk and water; brush
gently over the bread bowls. Bake for 18-22 minutes, until bread is done
and bowls are golden brown. Remove from oven and immediately, carefully
remove bread from bowls. (I used oven mitts, since bowls and bread are
7. Cool bread bowls upright on wire rack. Serve with chili or soup of your choice! 🙂