A light and fluffy whole wheat cake topped with whipped cream and fresh strawberries Yield:
8 servings Ingredients:
4 eggs, separated
3/4 cup sugar, divided*
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/3 cup water
1/4 cup oil
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 pound (about 2 cups) fresh strawberries, washed and sliced
1 cup whipping cream
1 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla Instructions:
1. In a large bowl with electric mixer at high speed, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Continue beating at high speed and add 1/4 cup sugar, about 2 tablespoonfuls at a time. Beat well after each addition, until sugar is completely dissolved and egg whites stand in stiff peaks.
2. In another mixing bowl, use an electric mixer to combine the egg yolks, flour, water, oil, baking powder, vanilla, and 1/2 cup of sugar. Using a rubber spatula, gently fold the flour mixture into the beaten egg whites until completely blended. Pour batter into a greased and floured 9-inch springform pan or two smaller round cake pans.
3. Bake cake at 325 degrees for about 40 minutes or until the top of the cake springs back when lightly touched with finger and cake tests done. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely before removing from pan. The cake will sink slightly as it cools.
4. Beat whipping cream in a chilled bowl on high until soft peaks form. Add a tablespoon of sugar and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla and continue beating until cream is stiff.
5. To serve, spread the whipped cream over the cake. Top with strawberries. Cut into slices and serve! Or, cut into slices and top each slice with whipped cream and strawberries just before serving.
This recipe is from Tammy’s Recipes.