Easy homemade whole wheat crackers that taste remarkably similar to Wheat Thins! Thin, crunchy, and salty — you will love these crackers! Yield:
About 8 ounces of crackers Ingredients:
1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon paprika
4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) cold butter, sliced
1/4 cup water
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
Salt, for topping Instructions:
1. Combine flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt, sugar, and paprika in a medium bowl. Cut in butter with a fork or pastry blender, until small crumbs form. Or, combine the dry ingredients and butter in a food processor bowl and pulse until crumbly.
2. Make a well in the center, and add the water and vanilla. Stir to mix, then use clean hands to knead a few times, just enough to form a ball of dough. (Add just a tad more water, only if needed.) Divide dough into two pieces and cover with a clean towel.
3. Lightly grease two 11×15-inch baking sheets* and sprinkle lightly with salt. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
4. On a lightly floured counter, roll each piece of dough into a thin rectangle approximately 11×15 inches. (Be sure to lightly flour the dough as you roll, so it doesn’t stick to the counter!)
5. Transfer the sheet of dough to the baking sheet. Use a pizza cutter or sharp knife to cut dough into squares. Trim edges if desired. Sprinkle tops with salt.
6. Bake at 400 degrees for 5-10 minutes, until crisp and lightly browned. Crackers will become more crispy as they cool, so don’t over-bake! (Remove edge crackers that are getting too dark if the middle crackers aren’t quite done yet, and continue baking.)
7. Remove baked crackers from sheets and cool on a wire rack. Serve warm or cool, plain or with dips or and store leftover crackers in a sealed bag or container.
This recipe was taken from Tammy’s Recipes.