A soft and spongy lemon poppy seed muffins with the perfect balance of sweet and tart! Yield:
12 muffins Ingredients:
2 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 tablespoons poppy seeds
1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons lemon zest (the zest from ~two large lemons)
1/4 cup melted butter
1 1/4 cups kefir (or buttermilk) Instructions:
1. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients.
2. In a smaller bowl, combine egg, sugar, andlemon zest, stirring well. Add butter and kefir (or buttermilk) and stir.
3. Add the wet mixture to the dry ingredients, and stir just until moistened. Do not over mix. The batter will be fairly thick.
4. Preheat oven to 350ÂºF. Divide batter evenly into 12 paper-lined or greased muffin cups. Bake muffins on rack in the middle of the oven for 20-25 minutes, until muffins test done. (Ours are usually done in 17-19 minutes; over-cooking seems to make them unnecessarily dry.)
5. Allow muffins to cool in pan for about 5 minutes, then remove to a wire rack to finish cooling.
How useful was this post?
Click on a star to rate it!
Average rating / 5. Vote count: