To start, you’ll need the following:
- Mobile Router – GL.iNet GL-AR750S-Ext Gigabit Travel AC Router
- High Wattage USB adapter (for mobile applications) – Ainope 4.8A Aluminum Alloy Car Charger
- Visible R2 Cell Phone – From Visible. You’ll need to create an account with them upon checkout. If prompted for a referral code, enter tFjmv
- NOTE: DO NOT port your existing number or or cell service to Visible. This new phone is only for your Internet access.
Once you have everything and the phone is working, you need to configure the router to use the phone.
- On the router:
- Start by following the instructions provided with the router to get the setup started.
- Configure the routers Password and SSID as part of the setup process.
- On the phone, do the following:
- Go to Settings > Network & Internet > Tethering & mobile Hotspot > USB Tethering and turn it on
- Go to Settings > About Phone > Scroll to bottom and click 8 times on the Build Number. This will enable Developer Mode.
- Go to Settings > About Phone > Developer Mode and turn on the Always On option. Also, turn on the USB Debugging Mode.
- Plug the USB cable into the phone and the other end (larger end) into the router.
- The phone will ask you what to do with the USB connection. Choose the bottom option.
- On the router, select Internet>Tethering and choose usb0.
That’s it! You can now connect your existing phones, computers, Roku’s, TV’s, etc. to the SSID you created on the router and get your Unlimited* Internet access for $40/mo. Enjoy!
You might be wondering why you can’t just use the phone as a hotspot. If you do this, your speed will be more limited than the 5Mbps speed that the service provides.
As of 2019 these instructions work but things may change. I am not tech support so you’ll need to work through any issues but I hope that this helps you get Internet for $40/mo.