This is the best old-fashioned potato salad recipe! Chunky, creamy, and flavorful, everyone loves this homemade potato salad! Yield:
16-24 servings (about 16 cups) Ingredients:
9 medium potatoes* (~3 to 3.5 pounds)
1 sweet onion, finely chopped
2 cups finely chopped celery
1/2 cup finely chopped dill pickles
3 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and diced
1/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon celery seed
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/3 cup yellow mustard
1 cup mayonnaise or Miracle Whip
1 teaspoon salt, or more, to taste
pinch of turmeric, optional
paprika, for garnish Instructions:
1. Wash potatoes, cut out any bad spots or sprouts, and cut into halves as needed to achieve mostly the same size potatoes/pieces (large chunks).
2. Place potatoes in a large stock pot and cover with water. Add a generous sprinkle of salt to the water, and bring to a boil. Simmer until potatoes are just tender (check with fork), about 15-20 minutes (less for smaller potatoes). Take care not to over-cook the potatoes, or you will have a mashed potato salad. 😉
3. Drain potatoes and rinse with cold tap water to cool them (this halts the cooking process). When potatoes are cool enough to handle, use clean hands to remove skins. Discard skins and dice potatoes into bite-sized chunks and set aside.
4. In a large mixing bowl, combine the onion, celery, pickles, eggs, sugar, vinegar, celery seed, pepper, mustard, mayonnaise, teaspoon of salt, and pinch of turmeric. Mix thoroughly. Add diced potatoes and toss gently to coat. Taste and add additional salt if needed.
5. Place potato salad into serving bowl and sprinkle with paprika to garnish. Refrigerate, covered, until ready to serve.
This potato salad keeps well in the fridge for several days in an air-tight container.
This recipe is from Tammy’s Recipes.