A thick creamy chowder with chunks of smoked salmon Yield:
8-10 servings Ingredients:
8 cups peeled and cubed russet potatoes
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons butter, divided
3/4 cup diced celery
1 cup diced onion
3 cloves garlic, minced
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups chicken broth
5 cups half and half cream OR 4 cups milk and 1 cup heavy cream
8 ounces Lox, hot smoked salmon, OR leftover grilled salmon fillet (meat only), diced*
1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
1/2 teaspoon dried dill weed
3/4 teaspoon salt
freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 teaspoon liquid smoke flavor, or to taste**
1/2 cup powdered non-dairy creamer Instructions:
1. In a large stock pot, cook potatoes in enough water to cover completely, just until tender. Drain potatoes in a strainer and set aside.
2. In the same stock pot, saute the celery, onion, and garlic with 2 tablespoons of the butter over medium heat until vegetables are tender (about 10 minutes). Add potatoes back to stock pot and set aside.
3. In a large saucepan, melt the remaining 1/2 cup of butter. Whisk in the flour, cooking and stirring over medium heat for a minute ot two. (Mixture will be thick.)
4. Over medium heat, gradually whisk in the chicken broth and then 2 cups of the milk (or half of the half and half cream), whisking constantly until thickened.
5. Transfer cream mixture to the stock pot with the potatoes, stirring gently, and add remaining milk and cream. Stir in the salmon, parsley, dill, salt, pepper, liquid smoke, and powdered creamer. Bring the chowder to a simmer while stirring gently; then remove from heat.
6. Adjust seasonings to taste, spoon into bowls, and serve.
This recipe is from Tammy’s Recipes.