Colorful sweet bell peppers stuffed with red sauce, cheeses, and spinach Yield:
4 large servings Ingredients:
4 medium-large red, green, yellow, or orange bell peppers, stems and seeds removed
1 cup diced onion
1/2 tablespoon butter or oil
10 ounces fresh spinach leaves*
1 1/2 cups small curd lowfat cottage cheese
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
4 ounces (1 cup) shredded mozzarella cheese
2 large eggs
1/2 cup bread crumbs**
1 clove minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried oregano
2 teaspoons dried parsley
1 1/2 cups pasta sauce
shredded cheese, for serving (optional) Instructions:
1. Saute onion in the butter or oil until onion is translucent. Add spinach and cook and stir until spinach is wilted. Pour into a strainer and squeeze the excess water out.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine the sauteed onion, spinach, cottage cheese, Parmesan cheese, mozzarella cheese, eggs, bread crumbs, garlic, salt, pepper, basil, oregano, and parsley. Mix well.
3. Grease the inside of a deep baking dish (that will hold your 4 peppers). Spoon 1/2 cup of the pasta sauce into the bottom of the dish.
4. Spoon 2 tablespoons of pasta sauce into the bottom of each pepper. Fill peppers with the spinach-cheese filling mixture, heaping it up if necessary. Place filled peppers into the prepared dish.
5. Spoon an additional 2 tablespoons of sauce over each pepper. Cover dish with a lid (if your dish has one) or, butter the underside of a sheet of foil and tent to cover peppers.
6. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour, covered. Uncover and reduce heat to 300 degrees. Bake 30-45 minutes longer, until peppers are tender and filling is slightly browned on top.
7. Remove from oven, allow to cool slightly, and serve with a sprinkling of shredded cheese on top if desired.
This recipe is from Tammy’s Recipes.