Walnut and Dried Fruit Bars
- 12 bars, serving size: 1 bar
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 3/4 cup whole-wheat pastry flour or regular whole-wheat flour
- 1/4 cup toasted wheat germ
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce (make your own the day before)
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 egg, beaten to mix
- 1 egg white
- 3/4 cup chopped dried tart cherries (or other dried fruit)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
- Cooking spray
- 1/4 cup apricot preserves
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a medium bowl, whisk together the oats, flour, wheat germ, cinnamon and salt.
In another bowl, whisk together the honey, applesauce, oil, egg and egg white until well combined. Stir in the oatmeal mixture until well combined. Add the dried cherries and walnuts.
Coat an 8-inch square baking pan with cooking spray. Spread the mixture into the prepared pan and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out
clean, 30 to 35 minutes. Put the preserves in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. As soon as the bars come out of the oven, brush with the preserves. Cool completely and cut into 12 bars, about 4 by1 1/2 inches each.